They happen every day. Sometimes I miss them, my eyes focused on the road ahead of me, the to-do list on my shoulders. But when I catch a glimpse, and stop my busyness, my spirit looks up to share a smiling gaze with the Almighty. A butterfly outside my window, a sweet moment with the children, a miracle unmerited. I am leaning into the Lord’s heart in the celebrations He gives our family, both large and small.
- Snowmen painted on my toes Tica-style in honor of the winter white stuff we miss on the prairie.
- The little dear who eyed Matt with caution and shied away from his hand while we prayed over her entry into the Hogar de Vida family, running to give him a hug a week later. Hearing the kids call out, “(Ma)Teo!” when he goes by.
- Realizing the soft blues and greens of the quilt I pieced before we launched to the mission field coordinate perfectly with the view of trees, mountains, and sky out our balcony.
- The verification that our second language is taking root. Yelling, “¿Qué está haciendo? / What are you doing?” without thinking when awakened from a dead sleep at 3:30 a.m. by someone’s loud footsteps on the neighbor’s tin roof next to our bedroom windows.
- Sharing hospitality and life with friends around our table. Cracking jokes and being real in Spanish and English.
- Discovering the High School Musicals with my kids and savoring this season when singing the songs with their mom is still cool.
- Laughing nonstop with House Tias on a 3-hour bus ride. Hearing my name called out in the verbal melee, “Krease!”
- Seeing Ezekiel charm team members, Eliana in her element helping out in the houses, and Elijah playing alongside boys his own age.
- Feeling the Holy Spirit show up in a unique way each time I share my testimony with a team.
- God’s mercy and my husband’s ingenuity saving my laptop after a baptism by pumpkin spice tea.
- Celebrating our Elijah’s arrival into double digits and his growth into a tender warrior.
- Sips of coffee and birdsong in the presence of the Lord each morning. A basket ready on my dresser with bible, journal, candle, and everything else I might be tempted to leave my chair for.
- The tiny infant who fussed night and day against some unknown anxiety, calming into peaceful smiles and trusting cuddles through Hogar’s united intercession before the throne of our good Father.
- Standing here, humbled on holy ground, filled with gratitude for the provision, prayer, and affection poured out on us.
We would not be here without all of you. It is an incredible privilege to be your hands and feet, serving in this land. Often I ask, like David, “Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?” 2 Samuel 7:18.
Thank you for every way that you have joined with us in this journey. May the Lord of the harvest multiply each seed sown and return to you a good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, poured into your lap this holiday season. Merry Christmas from the Gnuses in Costa Rica. A savior has been born. May His light illuminate your 2015.
May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light. Colossians 1:11b-12 NLT